ValueMonitor is an easy-to-use tool for empirical investigations of values and value change in text corpora (e.g., scientific articles, newspaper articles). Investigations performed with ValueMonitor can be used to discover neglected moral issues voiced by societal actors or to map the current state of scientific research on specific values and technologies. Although ValueMonitor relies on text mining, it has been designed in such a way that it does not require any programming skills. Moreover, the tool is applicable to all values and technologies. ValueMonitor is different from most existing empirical methods for research on values, which tend to be more resource-intensive (time, people) and less comprehensive in terms of scope of analysis.
We invite you to a one-day workshop to get familiarized with ValueMonitor. In the first part of the workshop, you will get acquainted with the tool’s workings and get an understanding of the types of questions that can be answered with it. In the second part, you will perform a hands-on guided exercise to discover the tool’s potential for your research.
The workshop is part of the ERC project ‘Design for Changing Values’ funded by the EU. It will take place on March 10th, 2023, from 9.30 to 16.30, in Delft. The number of places for the workshop is limited to ensure that we can help you effectively with the usage of the tool. Registration closes on January 20th and can be done by sending an email to ValueMonitor@valuechange.eu.
- Ibo van de Poel (Professor, Ethics and Philosophy of Technology, Policy and Management at Delft University of Technology)
- Tristan de Wildt (Postdoc researcher, Ethics and Philosophy of Technology, Policy and Management at Delft University of Technology)
- Freek van der Weij (Researcher, Ethics and Philosophy of Technology, Policy and Management at Delft University of Technology)
|9.30 – 9.45
|Walk-in + Coffee
|9.45 – 10.00
|Opening + introduction round
|10.00 – 10.45
|Introduction to topic modelling
|11.00 – 12.00
|Possible applications of ValueMonitor
|13.00 – 15.30
|Hands-on exercise ‘empirical investigation of values using ValueMonitor’
|Evaluation and closing remarks
- Intended audience: researchers who are interested in ways to enrich their research with new empirical methods for empirically studying values and value change in technology
- Participation is free of charge (deadline: January 20, 2023).
- Location: Delft University of Technology (exact room to be announced).
- For more information on ValueMonitor, please visit www.valuemonitor.eu.
- For questions, please feel free to contact us at ValueMonitor@valuechange.eu